Nixon's Darkest Secrets: The Inside Story of America's Most Troubled President” by Don Fulsom. Before there was a "Brokeback Mountain," a Dick could go down in Key Biscayne.
* That the future president sabotaged the 1968 peace talks for political gain.
* By the time Nixon became president in 1969, he had linked to the mob for more than two decades and, as president, had a close connection with New Orleans boss Carlos Marcello, the most powerful Mafioso in the nation.
* The president had a drinking problem and top aides referred to him as "Our Drunk".
* Nixon had a misogynist streak and was abusive toward first lady Pat Nixon.
* Testimony alleging that the president had ordered the killing of White House reporter Jack Anderson.
* The intimate and possibly homosexual nature of Nixon's relationship with confidante Charles "Bebe" Rebozo, a banker with mob ties.
They were once spotted holding hands under the table during a dinner with K Street power brokers, according to a Times magazine reporter.
The pair's friendship was no secret to Washington insiders, and the book claims that there were whispers that the two were more than just pals up until Nixon's death in 1994. (Rebozo was by his side. He died four years later.)
White House aides at the time said Rebozo was nothing more than "the guy who mixed the martinis" and showed the notoriously stuffy Nixon how to hobnob.
|Jackie Gleason with Bebe and Dickie|
|What a threesome: Bebe and Dick with J. Edgar Hoover in the middle.|
|A shirtless, hairy chested Dick.|
|Pat n Dick at the beach.|
|A hairy Dick rises from the surf.|
In his 1977 book "Nixon vs. Nixon; An Emotional Tragedy", Dr. David Abrahamsen concluded that Nixon was a psychopathic personality suffering from a severe character disorder, orally and anally fixated. (I'm sure it was just a coincidence that he loved to smoke a pipe!)
Michael John Sullivan's 1994 book "Presidential Passions: The Love Affairs of America's Presidents: From Washington and Jefferson to Kennedy and Johnson", observers that "Nixon had always shown a profound disinterest in women. In a sexual or romantic context, he had always seemed oblivious to their existence."
"After Nixon lost the California gubernatorial race in 1962 and had his painful emotional breakdown in public, he told the world that he was going to go home and spend some time getting to know his family again. But, instead, he went off to spend three weeks along with Bebe on Paradise Island in the Bahamas."
"Nixon had always publicly shown a most pronounced contempt for homosexuality and those suspected of it. For him, the accusations of being gay was the ultimate weapon that could be used to destroy a man, and during his opportunistic career he had often tried to successfully employ it. Part of this "dirty tricks" of the 1972 presidential campaign had been to smear his Democratic opponents, Senators Humphrey and Jackson, with the tag of homosexual."
This is typical behavior seen again and again in self-hating gay politicians, especially closeted gay Republicans.