Friday, October 24, 2014

Orange is for October

San Francisco War Memorial Opera House
No, it is not pumpkin spice season in San Francisco. It is Giants fever. World Series mania. Everything is decked out in Orange and Black in the city by the bay. I, too, will be dressed in the Giants tacky sports colors of orange and black all weekend because I will be at the 3 World Series games played in SF this weekend.

I will be the first to admit that I am one of those guys that totally lacks any kind of sports gene in my body. I really don’t care who wins the World Series, Super Bowl, Stanley Cup, World Cup and whatever basketball’s championship game is called. My husband, however, is a selected sports fan. He loves to follow the San Francisco Giants baseball. And I love to follow him to games. I like getting all caught up into the excitement with him. Just don’t expect me to know any sports stats or other fine nuances of the game.
SF Davies Symphony Hall
My husband has had season tickets to the Giants for many years. But this year we didn't go to very many games, mostly because of my cancer treatments. He ended up selling off most of his seats. He went to a half dozen games and I only attended one during the regular season. We are looking forward to this series of games.
SF City Hall in Giants Orange

Things I like about the SF Giants:
My favorite t-shirts...
Pitcher Tim Lincecum shirt

Tim Lincecum shirt
Giants/Grateful Dead: Steal Your Face shirt
Mascots...
Crazy Crab from 1984

Lou Seal, mascot since 1996
Supporters of LGBT community...
Donna Sachet was the first drag performer to sing the National Anthem
at the opening of a Major League Baseball game on 09/29/2009.
In 1994, the Giants became the first-ever professional sports team to host an AIDS benefit game, "Until There's A Cure Day." Since then, the Giants and the Giants Community Fund have repeated the effort, generating more than $1.3 million for Bay Area AIDS education and care/service organizations and international AIDS research.
The Giants have hosted a dozen annual LGBT nights at the ball park beginning back in 2002.


Three years ago, in 2011, the Giants and post-season heroes Barry Zito, Sergio Romo, and Matt Cain recorded an  "It Gets Better" video. They were the first professional sports team to join the online campaign against gay bullying and homophobia.

In 2013, San Francisco Giants received the GLAAD Corporate Leader Award. They were first professional sports franchise to receive a GLAAD Media Award.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...