Monday, March 09, 2009

Purim Fest!

Hamentachen for Purim
Purim is a joyous and festive Jewish holiday. It commemorates a time when the Jewish people living in Persia were saved from extermination. The story of Purim is told in the Biblical book of Esther. It is also a holiday where everything is upside-down. According to the Talmud, a person is obligated to become inebriated on Purim until they don't know the difference between "cursed is Haman" and "blessed is Mordechai."
Purim Fest 1963
I celebrated my first Purim in nursery school in 1963. I suspect we washed down our hamentachen cookies with only sweet apple juice. Although my parents were Protestant, they sent me to the nursery school at the Jewish Community Center in Binghamton, New York. It was to be a 40-plus years before I converted to Reform Judaism.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Purim!

Esther said...

Chag sameach!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...