Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Happy Earth Day

April 22nd was also my first wife’s birthday. Lori would have been 51 today but she died of Multiple Sclerosis (MS) when she was 32. We met in college. I first saw her when she moved into the dorm room across the hall from me freshman year (fall 1976). We dated on and off for the next 5 years in college. Lori spent her junior year abroad. She studied Norwegian and Psychology in Bergen, Norway. She also worked two summers in a tobacco shop in Bergen.
[This is my favorite photo of Lori taken when she was 20.]

At the end of college, not knowing what else to do, we got married. Shortly afterwards she was diagnosed with MS. We had one daughter.
[Photo of my very cool former mother-in-law and my daughter that was taken 2 years ago.]

Lori especially enjoyed Earth Day while in college at UC Davis in the late ‘70s and early ‘80s. There was always a celebration around it with bands, workshops, and parties.

1 comment:

michaelj72 said...

i always remember that old bumper sticker that showed a picture of the earth from far out in outer space and the caption was Love Your Mother.
that's what earth Day means to me, we need to learn how to love our biological Mother of all mothers

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...