Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Movember Nostalgia

Eddie with his facial hair in the late 1970's
I just recently became aware of this annual month-long charity event called Movember. During the month of November, men grow and groom a mustache. The purpose is to raise awareness and funds for men's health issues, specifically prostate cancer and other cancers that affect men. The two main non-profit beneficiaries are the Prostate Cancer Foundation and Lance Armstrong's cancer foundation Livestrong. 
Check out the website at: http://us.movember.com/

As a colon-rectal cancer survivor, I am all for raising awareness and funds for men's health. My dad has also been treated for prostate cancer. My husband and I are not growing a mustache this year. I doubt we would do it in the future either. We have to much grey hair already on our bodies already without adding more to the face. 

Ed with facial hair in the early 1990's

We both sported mustaches earlier in our lives.The first set of pictures is E in the late 1970's. The second set is me in the early 1990's.

My health tip is don't put off getting your colonoscopy done. Age 50 is when you should have your first one. Age 40 or 45 if colon cancer runs in your family.
NYC blogger Kenneth Walsh is tracking his mustache and the Movember event on his blog Kenneth in the (212). See a series of entries at : http://www.kennethinthe212.com/search/label/movember

"Kissing a man without a moustache is like eating an egg without salt." - English proverb

2 comments:

Coupon Trunk said...

I'd heard of Movember but didn't know what it was until now. Nice to know it's for such a good cause. Oh, and love the retro mustache pics! :)

Jim said...

I'm turning 31 this year and have decided to get a colonoscapy. It's never too early to set your mind at ease!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...