Saturday, September 29, 2012

Han Solo & Princess Leia building at Stanford

Pranksters christened Stanford University's new engineering building as the "Han Solo & Princess Leia Center for Nanoscale Science & Engineering" in late July. University workers removed the faux donors' names promptly. Apparently officials were not amused by the prank. Supposedly the real naming donor (yet to be announced) was scheduled to stop by for a visit later that morning.

The Center for Nanoscale Science and Engineering, popularly known as "Nano", houses the Stanford Nano Center shared facilities (SNC), the Edward L. Ginzton independent laboratory, and the offices of the Department of Applied Physics.

I was surprised by the building dedication that implied that Han Solo and Princess Leia were a couple. I remember from the movies that there were lots of sexual tension between their characters but I didn’t remember a wedding scene.
HAN SOLO: You like me because I'm a scoundrel. There aren't enough scoundrels in your life.
PRINCESS LEIA: I happen to like nice men.
HAN SOLO: I'm a nice man.
--Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

When I googled it I found out that their continued courtship, marriage and parenting several children happens in a series of books that continue after the movie series ends.







UPDATE, NOV 2012: The building now has an official name as the "James & Anna Marie Spilker - Engineering & Applied Sciences Building"

1 comment:

Steven said...

This iis a great blog

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...